Friday, April 6, 2012

home.


1 Rooster.
2 Guard Dogs.
3 Chickens (until Saturday anyway).
4 Aunties/Uncles and Momma
24 Children.
This is my new African family.  I have so much to be thankful for on this Good Friday!  I am so thrilled to be laying in my middle bunk-bed tonight… extremely exhausted, sweaty, bruised, sunburnt, and dirty.  All is well in Uganda!  Dana and I arrived at Sozo, House 1, one week ago today and the time has absolutely flown by.  Sozo has an amazing gift here in Uganda and I can’t even make sense of how perfectly the Lord laid this opportunity into my lap to serve here over the next two years.  I want to go into detail about each of the 24 perfect faces that I’ve spent the last week getting to know but I don’t have time tonight.  I will try to fill you in briefly about what all we have gotten into over the last seven days. 
Last weekend was spent watching and learning.  Getting all moved in and meeting our new family.   I can’t believe how familiar and comfortable everything feels already.  It is so different  from home, but it just feels very right.  I love the sounds and smells of Uganda that are so different from home and yet so familiar to what I know and love of Africa.  I love waking up to the rooster outside my window every morning, and then rushing to put my sweatpants on so I can kiss 24 little faces before the school bus comes – even when its raining out.  I love scrubbing 24 little porridge stained mugs while singing worship songs with the girls.  I love watching the Lord provide for the 250+ kids that have been standing in line for Ugali and beans, even when my backs is hurts and I’m looking into a pot of food that I can’t imagine having to eat.  I love hearing stories of redemption and salvation – like the pastor I met this week who was born the son of a witch doctor – who learned of Christ when he escaped from his village and met an evangelical Christian.  I love having 3 sets of tiny hands in my hair twisting it into braids until it hurts.  I love constantly getting to say (and hear) “I love you SO much” – and meaning it.  I love doing homework at night on the floor – and learning so much more than I could ever teach.  I love hearing the African drums and loud voices praising the Lord simultaneously… in Lugandan.  
On of my favorite moments from this past week was having one of the little girls crawl into my lap outside one afternoon with a mirror she had found.  She looked at me through the mirror, and I looked at her.  “Auntie Lola – I want to watch you kissing me!”  I melted.  Obviously.   I thought I was going to kiss the skin right off her cheek.  I had actually had a more emotional day that day, really missing everyone from home and wondering how I was going to keep up such a pace for the next 6 months.  In that moment I reassured her that my kisses were real, and that I was not going anywhere anytime soon.  I know she has felt my kisses all week – but on that particular day, she wanted to not only feel it, but SEE it too!   I know God has me in Uganda for this season for a very specific purpose and I am loving watching Him reveal Himself to me while I am here.   I very much feel it, and I am so blessed to finally be SEEING it also. 

I feel so guilty for my lack of blogging, journaling, emailing, and photographing – but with 24 faces to love on, I just honestly haven't found the time.  Maybe soon things will calm down (although I pray not) and I will do a better job.  Until then, please know my heart is as full as it has ever been… and this Easter weekend, let’s all celebrate together – He is risen!!  He is ALIVE!!!!  

1 comment:

  1. sounds like you have found yourself and I love you for it

    ReplyDelete