Wednesday, April 18, 2012

brother.

Everything about Africa reminds me of my brother, Lee.  From the “botabotas” (aka: motorcycles) that everyone drives here to the Nakumat (a local grocery story only he would laugh about) and every “How are YOU?!?” and “It is just there…” in-between.  Lee is constantly on my mind here because I know his heart and mine both beat for Africa.   I often think about the discussion we had in February 2009 about the possibility of the two of us setting out on a brother/sister adventure to Africa.  It was very quickly after that we bought our 2 plane tickets to Nairobi, Kenya.  I’ll be honest, I wasn’t expecting more than the bonding experience of a lifetime in our short two week trip, but I should have known the Lord would use it to change my life, like he did Lee’s two Summer’s before.  When Africa was mentioned, it was obvious I would go, no matter how scared or nervous I was.  Lee is my younger brother by almost 4 years, but there is nothing actually “younger” about him.  He has been a leader to me (spiritually, emotionally, and physically) for as long as I can remember and I adore him more than life itself.  I remember that I couldn’t drive quick enough the day I was meeting Lee to tell him about the confirmation I had been given about serving long-term in Africa.  Over the next several years Lee never stopped encouraging me in this and provided endless advice and wisdom towards this leap.   It blows my mind to think about how the Lord used my brother to introduce Africa to me – and this calling on my life (God is just awesome like that). 
Anyway – as I sit here in Uganda watching the kids play outside this afternoon – I am so thankful for my amazing family, specifically Lee.  He is getting married in 5 months to one of the luckiest girls on the planet, Katie Pauley (I kinda think Lee did ok too!) and I can’t wait to see him take this next step in his life.  I am so amazed at the man he has turned into and forever grateful for his influence in my life.  I miss Lee today… and have every day since I’ve been in Uganda.  I am so excited to see what God has in store for the next step in our lives.  I love you Lee - and thank you again for introducing me to Africa!  =)











No comments:

Post a Comment