Tuesday, February 7, 2012

full.

Here I am again tonight on my knees at the throne of Jesus...  amazed, and thanking Him for all that He has done in my life.  Truth is: I've spent most of the past few months here, and my prayer is that I don't get up any time soon.  Tonight, I am full... downright overflowing really with His goodness.  I'm full from the fabulous dinner I shared with two of my favorite people, sure, but I'm also filled with the abundance of blessings I've received over the past few days...

This weekend, for example. I went to Destin to visit the best friend a girl could ask for - her name is Ashley Boles Klima, or "Boles" as I call her.  The fact is, I oftentimes don't even feel worthy of a friend like Boles.  I don't return her calls in a timely manner, I shy away from needed confrontations and I sure can't offer any advise on marriage or baby... anything!  Although our lives look very opposite today, almost 16 years ago Boles decided to sit next to me ("the new girl") in 9th grade choir class at Hoover High, and we have been inseparable ever since.  I could spend all night documenting the craziness we've been a part of - but this is MY blog and I better not drag her unknowingly into this laundry airing session without her consent.  Anyway, spending this past Saturday with Ashley, and her husband Joe, was refreshing.  I guess spending time with a true best friend always is.  I don't know for sure if Ashley agrees 100% with  my reasons for going to Africa - but she has never stopped supporting me - and I know she never will.  She knows the deep desires of my heart, and the things my flesh has always longed for: marriage, a family of my own, etc.  and as besties we have always longed to walk through these stages of life together.  I was in Kenya (sitting in a broken chair in an "internet cafe") when I read the e-mail Ashley sent to tell me she was engaged!  I was so excited... but I wasn't there.  I know I was right where God intended me to be - it's where my journey to Africa began!  But my flesh still strugles with my absense in Ashley's life that day... and so many others.  Boles is my voice of reason.  She literally stood over my socked feet in the Merrell Outlet store this weekend while I pulled up my Compass Bank app trying to verify my funds - and insisted "Laura Belle," as she calls me, "your Chacos just aren't going to cut it over there - you have to protect your toes!  I can't be worried about your exposed toes while you are gone!" ... as she proceeded to march my box of Merrells up to the register and BUY ME a pair of incredible shoes for my trip!  Seriously?!  Who does that!?  Boles, that's who.  With her hard-earned bonus money from work, Boles bought ME a pair of new shoes - so my toes would be covered.  Because like Jesus, Ashley cares about the smallest of details... and even my toes are important to her.  I'm her undeserving... speechless, best friend.  I'm actually wearing my new scoots as I type this blog, just because they remind me of the ridiculous abundance of love and support I've received from Boles... and so many others.




 I also attended a baby shower on Saturday for baby Brayden.  His parents-to-be, Chris and Carla, are true warriors for Christ and I am honored to call them my friends.  Myself, and many others, have been praying for this pregnancy for years... and in God's perfect timing - Brayden is now only a few weeks away!  (I will keep you posted once he makes his debut!)  Carla and I have shared many long talks over bags of cherries in the ocean... talking missions, boys, and more missions.  She knows my heart - and she has been so supportive!  Sitting next to me as I type is my new devotional book that Carla gave me when I left her Saturday night - "Voices of the Faithful" - Inspiring stories of courage from Christians serving around the world.  Wow - is this the most perfect gift, or what?  The thoughtfulness behind this book brings me to tears and I haven't even mentioned the card and selfless donation that accompanied it.  Chris and Carla have participated in Global Missions on several occasions before, and I am so blessed to have them as prayer warriors interceding on my behalf while I am in Uganda. 
Chris, Carla, and baby Brayden =)
So there... I'm full tonight.  Full of love.  Full of support.  Full of encouragement.  Full of salad, truthfully, from the dinner I can't even blog about yet - my emotions simply won't allow it.  I'm exhausted.  Beth and Martha are simply precious treasures that I'm not going to even try to explain now.  Just know that I am full.  I'm so happily overflowing.  I keep humming the lyrics: "I know I'm filled to be emptied again..." from one of my favorite worship songs.  I can't wait to wake up tomorrow and be emptied again - into this hurting and suffering world that so badly needs a Savior.  I know the Lord fills me daily by His Spirit, so that He can empty me, for His namesake and for His glory.  Use me Lord.  Please... use me.

told ya

“We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled.
The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.”
- Ray Bradbury



No comments:

Post a Comment