Wednesday, January 18, 2012

comfortable.

It’s official – Tootsie and I have moved in with my mother, and this is my first blog from our new home in Hoover.  This is another huge step in my journey to Uganda!  I’ll be shacking up with mom until my departure in late March to save a little cash, and let my brother get settled into his new home… my house in Helena.  This is all getting very real now.  I’ve left my comfortable home, and soon will be leaving this comfortable country.  I went to bed last night looking around the room I lived in while in High School and I couldn’t help but praise my Savior.  You see, I don’t want to be comfortable anymore.  I don’t want the false sense of security that has come for too long because of the house I own, the car I drive,  or the corporate career I have.  I want every ounce of enjoyment that God has planned out for my life – and I know it is will require me to surrender my "comfortable" American Dream.  I love this quote by Francis Chan:
“But God doesn't call us to be comfortable. He calls us to trust Him so completely that we are unafraid to put ourselves in situations where we will be in trouble if He doesn't come through.”
Truth is, I will be in trouble if He doesn’t come through.  But I know He will. Like I replied to a CraigsList buyer today when I met up to sell a $10 plate at the Panera Bread parking lot “No, I’m not afraid at all, I’m actually really excited.  The more I have emptied myself of my earthly possessions, the more I have  been filled with the reassuring presence of the Holy Spirit”.  If I know anything at all about the character of God Almighty, the Creator of the Universe,  I know this: His greatest desire is for His name be worshiped in every corner of this world, by every tribe, by every tongue, and by every people group on this planet.  Everyone.  He deserves nothing less.  So no, tonight I’m not curled up in the comfort of my own home,  on my overpriced fancy pillow top queen-sized, mattress that I was so proud to purchase 7 years ago, but I am snuggled up “back home” surrounded with things that remind me of how much I am loved and what an awesome support group I have backing me as I prepare to leave for Africa.  God knew exactly what He was doing when he planned this all out – I’m at home right now for a reason.  My mom and I are enjoying dinners  together, having deep conversations about life/God/family/etc. and I’m getting to be pampered for my last home-stretch (no pun intended) before I head out!  It’s actually perfect...  just like the rest of this crazy process has been!
Sneak preview of my prayer cards!

No comments:

Post a Comment