Sunday, January 29, 2012

sunday.

This weekend has been filled with more blessings than I can count.  Literally, at every turn I see God moving and advancing this journey of His, that I am so humbly a part of.  I’ll be totally transparent with you and admit that oftentimes I feel overwhelmingly unworthy of the abundance of love and support… and the continual gifts from our Father that keep flowing my way.  The only way I know to reply is to breathe in all of this goodness and to commit every exhale He provides me with in abundant thanksgiving.  My constant prayer is that He receives all of the glory, and honor, and praise due His name - in Birmingham, Alabama and among the Nations!     

I spent Saturday night with a room full of world-changers (many of which I have traveled to Africa with previously and share a similar passion with of spreading the gospel to the unreached) – it was awesome!  Phil Long (pastor / missions mentor / friend) hosted an evening to share about what God is doing around the world (specifically in India) through Global Action.  Phil left his position as Missions Pastor for Church of the Highlands here in Birmingham and followed God’s call to Global Action (based in Colorado Springs) just a few weeks ago.  (Check it: http://www.globalaction.com/)  Anyone that knows me well knows that I look up to Phil immensely.  He has dedicated his life to teaching/preaching/living the word of God, globally.  He has spent years in East Africa, Kenya specifically, and he has personally inspired me to follow God’s calling on my life as well.  I consider the two years that I have known Phil (we have been to Africa together twice) an enormous blessing – God clearly put him in my life for a very specific purpose and I am so thankful for every moment I have spent with he and his amazing wife, Shary.  I’m sure you will read many more Phil-isms as my journey progresses and maybe even learn some of the gold nuggets of the mission filed that Phil has shared with me along the way (including, but not limited to: the real reason I’m making sure to pack a Bible with an extra large maps section… why I already know all-to-well that I will “sling pants” if/when necessary… and how, because of Phil, I can exchange money with the best of em on the street corner, black market style)!  Seriously, the wisdom I have learned from Phil over the last two years will be my field-guide of sorts, and I am so thankful for it!!        

Phil ...
  
preaching.

teaching.

and LIVING the Word.
Busted!  Black Market style. 

Tonight, I traveled to Cullman for a visit at Desperation Church.  (Check them too: http://www.desperationchurch.tv/)  I was literally moved to tears, as I worshiped with 500+/- others in the small sanctuary in the church I helped pre-launch a few years back.   What amazing things God is doing in that city, and in that church!  I’ll have to blog later about my friend, Brittany Pelfrey – who is such an amazing woman of the Lord, and how we can almost finish each other’s sentences… we have such similar stories and I know the Lord placed her in my life at the exact moment I needed her.  She is such a blessing. 

While I wouldn’t have missed the special service at DC for the world, it was almost bitter sweet driving to and from Cullman alone.  You see, my precious family was getting together for dinner (as we do sometimes on Sunday evenings) and I wasn’t there.  I couldn’t help but think about all the times over the next two years where this will be the scene – my sweet family gathering… without me.  Sure I’m going to miss the taste of diet coke on ice, and the freedom of jumping in my own car and driving around town to clear my head, and Tootsie – whose fur I’ve buried my face in as I cry about broken relationships, and Ashley - whose incredible friendship I all to often take for granted, and tap water… but nothing, NOTHING, will I miss like my precious family.  I came home tonight and was all but rude to my mother (praise the Lord I already know she forgives me, and I haven’t even asked her yet).  My emotions have been on a roller coaster like I can not explain - and I am so thankful for the extra doses of grace I have received from everyone as March 28th approaches.

Some, of my amazing family =)
 I text this quote to a few people when I found it this past week, but I wanted to share it here as well…

"The key to the missionary's work is the authority of Jesus Christ, not the needs of the lost.  We are inclined to look on our Lord as one who assists us in our endeavors for God.  Yet our Lord places Himself as the absolute sovereign and supreme Lord over his disciples.  He does not say that the lost will never be saved if we don't go - He simply says, "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations..." He says, "Go on the basis of the revealed truth of My sovereignty, teaching and preaching out of your living experiences of Me."
- Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest

2 comments:

  1. I went to Haiti with Phil. A trip that absolutely changed my life...I do not go one day without thinking about that place. I love Phil, such a small world. You've learned from the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somebody pretty awesome must've pointed that Ozzie quote out to you... Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete